Here will discuss all the compatible media streaming devices and narrow down the list to choose the best streaming device for YouTube TV. A streaming device along with the YouTube TV will eliminate the hassle of several wires running through the house.
To choose the best streaming device for YouTube TV, you need to select the one that has a user-friendly interface, easy to access YouTube TV and other apps, and finally overall budget. Although streaming devices are very cheap, the overall cost should also be lower than that of TV cables because that is the reason for using YouTube TV.
Quick differences between the streaming devices:
What is YouTube TV?
YouTube TV replaces the cable TV connection. It is a contract-free monthly subscription process with which you can watch 85+ TV channels online. Some of the popular channels are ABC, FOX, CNN, NBC, Nickelodeon, TNT, TLC, etc.
There are other channels that you can buy as an add-on. It has a DVR feature with unlimited storage. So you can record any live shows and watch later. It will save videos for nine months. YouTube TV also allows access to 6 accounts and simultaneous streaming on 3 accounts.
Once you enter into the YouTube TV app, you will see three taps, Library, Home, and Live. The Home section recommends movies, sports, or news channels or genre-based movies from which you can choose.
The Library saves the episodes you will save. You can watch a live show and rewind it to stream again but you can’t do it only to the episode you watched, not the one you didn’t.
How to get the YouTube TV app on your TV?
- if you own a Smart TV then it will come with different apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Search for YouTube TV and if it is already installed then you can easily start watching.
- if it is not installed go to the app store and download it
- if the TV can’t install new apps or it is not a Smart TV then one of the best way to watch YouTube tv on your TV is a streaming device.
What are the available streaming devices?
Some of the best streaming devices for YouTube TV are Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, and Fire TV devices.
You can stream apps from your smartphone to the TV. Since they don’t have a built-in interface, you have to use the smartphone as a remote
The following Chromecast versions work with YouTube TV:
Chromecast 4rd version is the latest model released in 2020. The latest generation is faster (15% than the previous one), has an easy-to-use user interface. It supports Dolby Atmos and 1080p content but not HDR.
One of the best Google Home compatible devices for a 1080p TV could be the Chromecast if you are okay with the fact that it will drain your device’s charge very quickly.
The Ultra is compatible. It supports 4K HD content, HDR, HDR 10+, Dolby Vision HDR as well as Dolby Atmos sound.
Chromecast with Google TV
This comes with an exciting offer which is, if you subscribe to YouTube TV, then you will get the Chromecast with Google TV for free. If you want to get the best deal on YouTube TV.
Why should you choose Chromecast?
- If you think an additional remote is a hassle.
- Wanting to cast your mobile phone on the TV screen.
- Wanting to stream content available on your phone to the T
- To get a free Chromecast with Google TV if you subscribe to YouTube TV.
- Not wanting to buy a new TV with apps like Netflix, Hulu, or other apps.
How to watch YouTube TV with Chromecast?
Using Chromecast with YouTube TV is one of the cheapest upgrades you can get.
- To watch YouTube TV via Chromecast, you need to download the YouTube TV app on your Android, Computer, Tablet, or iPhone/iPad.
- pay the monthly subscription.
- Then use the cast button to view YouTube TV on the TV set.
How to set up the Chromecast?
To proceed further you should have the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Standard TV set with HDMI port
- Chromecast, Ultra or Chromecast with Google TV
- Mobile, Tab, or PC
- An account in Google
To plug in the Chromecast:
- Insert the USB power cable with the Chromecast
- Connect it to the power supply
- Plug the Chromecast into the HDMI port of the TV
- A Welcome Chromecast screen will be seen on the TV
- Write down the Chromecast device number
To complete the setup:
- Go to Google play store
- Download and install the Google Home app
- Go to the app and choose your Google account or simply Sign in
- Select ‘Home’ or ‘Work’
- The app will scan for devices
- Match the Chromecast device with the number you noted down earlier.
- Your mobile and TV will show the same code
- Then ‘Choose your Wi-Fi Network’ and select your Wi-Fi name
- TV will show ‘Almost Finished’
- Once it is successful, the TV will show a background picture, time, and Chromecast name.
- If you are using Chromecast Ultra then you also connect it to the internet via an Ethernet cable.
Chromecast setup for iPhone/iPad:
- Insert the Chromecast into the TV
- Connect your device and TV to the same Wi-Fi
- Download Google Home
- Turn on Bluetooth to complete the setup or do the following
- In the iPhone go to the Settings then choose Wi-Fi
- Select the Chromecast device, for example, ChromecastXXXX.b.
- Go to Google Home and then follow the steps above for the Google Home app.
For iOS 14 or later version:
- In the phone’s Settings app, scroll down to select the YouTube app (YouTube TV, YouTube Music, YouTube, and YouTube Kids)
- Turn the ‘Local Network’ to On.
- In the particular YouTube app, press on ‘Cast’
- Give permission for Local Network
- Choose your device.
- To disconnect casting, press on ‘Cast’ again and disconnect it.
What other content does Chromecast allow do see?
Chromecast will show any content available on your mobile. If you download the Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Prime Video, HBO Now, apps on your mobile and subscribe to them then you can use the cast button to watch it via Chromecast.
The Chromecast also allows you to ‘Cast’ photos or music from your phone’s Google Photos, Google Play Music.
How to control YouTube TV with Chromecast?
The main reason why many people don’t like the Chromecast is that they don’t come with remote control. On the other hand, it is perfect for you if you don’t need the hassle of an extra remote and instead want to control the Chromecast with voice.
It is compatible with Google Voice Assistant. However, you can pair the TV remote to control some of the functions like volume or power.
It supports 1080p content and has 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus sound. With a 4K TV, you can also use Apple TV for 4K contents. Only the 4th generation Apple TV is compatible with YouTube TV.
Why should you choose Apple TV to watch YouTube TV?
- Fastest speed due to 64-bit A10X Fusion chip
- No adds
- Easy-to-use user interface
- You are within the Apple ecosystem
- HDR with Dolby Vision
How to watch YouTube TV on Apple TV?
- Go to the Apple TV app store and download the YouTube TVB app
- Go to a browser a write com/start
- Proceed with a code given once the app is downloaded.
- Sign in with account details from a PC
- Then start watching.
How to install Apple TV?
- Plug into a power supply and then to the HDMI port of the TV
- It has an Ethernet cable so if you want you can connect with the router
- Connect to your network and follow the commands
For iPhone users
- Keep the phone on the side of your TV
- The iPhone will complete the setup process by itself.
How to control YouTube TV with Apple TV?
Apple TV remote has one of the best sleek and aesthetic remote controllers made from glass and aluminum. It is a Bluetooth remote with a microphone so you can give voice commands.
What other features does Apple TV have?
- Headphone: you can turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone to use a pair of headphones and listen to movies or music alone.
- Voice control: Apple TV works with Siri and Homekit. You can ask anything to Siri and you will get correct answers most of the time.
- Screen mirroring:
- For iPhone users: with AirPlay which is faster to use and display mobile’s screen on TV
- For Android users: AllCast app
- Online streaming: you can install Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, YouTube TV and watch online
- Cable TV: you can subscribe to TV channels but if you subscribe to YouTube TV this is not needed.
- 4K HDR content
- Free subscription to Apple TV+ for the first year.
All the latest Roku devices are compatible with YouTube TV. The price increases from the Express to the Ultra. Roku suggests you to ‘cut the cord’ and go with any live streaming cable options like YouTube TV, Fubo TV, or others.
Unlike Fire TV Stick, Roku doesn’t need any subscription to view its features or contents. It makes accessibility of thousands of apps really easy which in turn will need subscription-like YouTube TV. One of the major drawbacks is, it doesn’t allow multiple accounts
It is very easy to set up, supports HD content of 1080p. It is one of the best Roku devices for YouTube TV if you want something very cheap but powerful enough to allow access to all content.
Supports 4K and HDR content
Roku Streaming Stick+:
It also supports 4K and HDR and is best for wall mount tv. It also has a voice remote control
The best streaming device for YouTube TV 2019 is Roku Ultra. Although it is expensive among all other models, it has advanced features, smart buttons of the remote, and JBL headphones. It has advanced features, supports 4K, HDR. It also supports Dolby Vision, Atmos, and Bluetooth.
Why should Roku for YouTube TV?
- Works with Alexa and Google Home
- Different models within an affordable price range
- Free content at The Roku Channel
- Very easy to use interface
How to install Roku for YouTube?
- Plug into power and then to HDMI. You can also connect an Ethernet cable to the router
- Complete the setup and then go to Homepage
- Select Streaming Channels
- On the Search option, search for YouTube TV
- Download and install YouTube TV
How to control it?
Roku comes with an east-to-grip remote with large buttons with which you will easily familiarize. The design is not very classy but its user friendly. It has 4 shortcuts including Netflix, Hulu, ESPN+, and Sling.
You can also use it for a TV remote which avoids the mess of using two remotes. It has a microphone so you can also do hands-free control. You can also use your mobile phone as a remote.
What other contents/features does Roku have?
- It allows you to subscribe to various Cable TV apps like ITV Hub, DisneyNOW, Discover GO, HBO GO, ESPN, NBC, and many more
- It doesn’t have high-end games
- The Roku Channel allows watching free movies or TV shows but they are ad-based contents.
YouTube TV isn’t compatible with Fire TV (1st Gen) and Fire TV Stick (1st Gen).
Fire TV Cube:
It supports Dolby Atmos and Digital Plus
Fire TV Stick 4K:
As the name suggests, it supports 4K as well as Dolby Atmos with 7.1 surround sound
Fire TV Stick 2020:
How to setup YouTube TV on Fire TV Stick/Cube?
- Plugging the device to power and TV is the same as with other streaming devices
- Go to the Home screen and write YouTube TV to search the app
- Download and install
- Open the app and watch contents with a monthly subscription
How to control Fire devices?
These devices come with a remote with voice features. The remote works as a ‘dual remote’ for your TV as well. The remote is classy with a minimalist design and doesn’t have shortcut buttons.
What other contents are available?
The interface is not very intuitive like Roku. Amazon guides you or gives suggestions of its apps, contents, and features. It suggests different Amazon Prime movies or TV shows. The ads can be annoying as they come in the middle of the screen.
Comparing Roku vs Fire TV devices, the Roku gives an ad at the right side of the screen which is at least tolerable. Since these devices don’t have a headphone jack, you can use wireless headphones via Bluetooth.
The mobile app can be used as a remote or type to search for any app or content. Most users don’t use this app because it is not user-friendly.
Additional information on YouTube TV
How to record YouTube TV content to DVR?
To record a show in the DVR:
- Choose the content
- At the right side of the content, there is an add button, select it to record.
- Go to the YouTube Library to watch it later.
List of devices the YouTube TV is compatible with:
- iPhone, iPad
- Android smartphone, Android tablet
- Apple TV
- Android TV
- Roku TVs, Roku smart soundbar
- Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Express, Roku Premiere
- Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Cubes
- Vizio SmartCast TVs
- Samsung & LG smart TVs
- HiSense TVs
- Chrome, Safari
- Gaming consoles: Xbox One (Xbox One, Xbox One S, & Xbox One X), PlayStation (PS4, PS4 PRO)
Which one is the best streaming device for YouTube TV?
Since we have elaborately explained the features of all the streaming devices, the decision will depend on what matters the most. So, the best streaming device for YouTube TV would be Roku, according to us and to most of the consumers.
This is because the user interface, accessibility, remote are very intuitive. The Roku is famous for its flexibility. Along with that, you can watch The Roku channel for free with ads. It doesn’t force you to watch special content, not the ads bug you directly at your face. The cost is very cheap as well.
The second choice of ours is Chromecast. You will like Chromecast if you think an additional remote is a hassle. Also, if you have major apps installed in your mobile and you feel it’s easy for you to cast a show from your mobile rather than go through different interfaces then the Chromecast will save you the hassle.
The next one in line is Fire TV devices especially if you watch Amazon or Amazon based apps. Finally, if you are within the Apple ecosystem, the best YouTube TV streaming device for you will be Apple TV. One of the best alternatives to YouTube TV is Hulu +Live TV which is affordable as well.
If you want to buy a new TV to replace the old dumb TV for watching YouTube TV with a streaming device then some of the best Smart TV for YouTube TV can be found in Samsung or Vizio.
YouTube TV is the best solution to enjoy movies or music without the mess of wires. Compared to cable TV it is less costly. Since you need a device to stream the content of YouTube TV, you need a streaming device. In this article, we have chosen some of the best streaming devices for YouTube TV and discussed its features and flexibility.
Users may select one from Roku, Chromecast, Fire TV, or Apple TV. The advantage of using YouTube TV with a streaming device is, the overall cost will reduce, accessibility to a wide number of applications, and take it with you anywhere you go.
The addition of unlimited DVR storage makes YouTube TV more exciting. If you don’t have Apple devices at home, you can choose from the Roku, Fire TV, or Chromecast. And for now, there is a deal going on where you will get a Chromecast for free if you subscribe to YouTube TV.
We hope you have enjoyed reading our article and that it has answered any questions or concerns. If not, the FAQ section below should be able to help out! We’re sorry for ending on a downer note but don’t fret- we’ve got your back no matter what with this handy FAQ list at the bottom of every page.
How can I give access to others using YouTube TV?
Once you have signed in to your YouTube you can allow other family members to access it
- Choose a profile picture
- Go to Settings then choose Family sharing
- Press on ‘Set up’
- Then make a ‘Google family group’
- Choose Next
- The people you have chosen will receive an email
- They should sign in through that email to get access.
How to rearrange YouTube TV with things you watch?
The Live Tab will consist of different suggestions of channels but if you want it to show similar things that you like then you can change the settings. To do so,
- Select on Live Tab
- Go to Sort, then select Custom
- Unselect the channels which you want to remove
- Arrange the channels in an order you want to see them by moving them up or down