QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) is a type of modulation that uses both amplitude and phase components to achieve high levels of spectrum performance.
For some analog transmissions including AM stereo transmissions, quadrature amplitude modulation has been used but is for data applications where the modulation itself has been used. It is capable of providing a highly effective way of data modulation and is used as such for all types of high-speed data communications systems, from wireless to Wi-Fi.
List of TVs with QAM tuner
Due to the huge number of companies and models, we can not name every single TV with QAM tuners but we will try to mention a few notable ones for your help.
The majority of the following manufacturer’s televisions come equipped with a QAM tune.
Sharp, Sony, Polaroid, Toshiba, Emerson, Hitachi, LG, Samsung, Visio, Insignia, and TCL, etc. These are TV with a cam tuner. There are also TVs without QAM scanners like Seiki, Element, Sceptre, HiSense, Proscan, RCA.
ATSC vs CAM
The two digital standards that are responsible for transmitting and decoding digital signals from television stations or cable companies are the QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) and ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee).
The only distinction is that they receive the signal from the medium. ATSC receives signals over the air (OTA), while QAM is used for cable line decoding signals. This distinction affects the way each works and the traits of each person.
While they are always treated as separate, many QAMs remain ATSC dependent. QAM is merely a separate modulation technique and has little to do with the transmitted format of content. For this reason, QAM continues to use the ATSC format.
Since QAM was planned for cable, cleaner media than ATSC is needed. It is because the absence of the QAM is due to a large number of interference sources and potential signal distortions that arise when air-borne transmission. QAM is also capable of maximizing the same usage of the 6Mhz bandwidth. Although the medium it uses, the noise is not as high as ATSC. It will pull more channels into the spectrum without interfering or losing a signal.
However, if you want to program your remote to your tv, then you might take a look at this.
Things to consider before buying a QAM tuner
The first thing we need to check is your TV. You have to make sure if your TV has a built-in QAM scanner or not. Both ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) and QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) optical tuners are supported by most big brand flat-screen TVs manufactured after 2006. To receive optical channels over the radio, ATSC is used. Without the use of a cable box, QAM is used to access streaming channels from a cable TV service. To work with Comcast’s ResNet HD Cable TV system, your TV must support QAM.
Link your TV to your computer and manually tune to a few digital channels with your remote control to see if your digital TV’s tuner is plain QAM capable. You can also find your TV’s manual or specs by searching Google with the manufacturer’s name and exact model number. If the words “QAM” appear in the documentation. Your TV tuner must be “clear QAM” or “QAM worthy” to work with the ResNet HD Cable TV system.
Many companies (including well-known major manufacturers) who support QAM tuners (such as Samsung) do not, however, make any mention of their “QAM” support. Unfortunately, this means that just because your TV doesn’t have a “QAM” reference in the manufacturer’s paperwork doesn’t mean it isn’t sponsored. As a result, the above check is frequently needed.
Pros and cons of QAM tuner
- Help to obtain fast data rates when a single carrier carries more bits.
- Popular in new wireless systems such as LTE, LTE Advanced, etc
- It is also applied in new wireless technology including 802.11n 802.11 ac, 802.11 ad, and other applications.
- While the data rate has been improved by mapping more than one bit on a single carrier, decoding the bits at the receiver requires a high SNR.
- Needs high linearity PA (Power Amplifier) in the Transmitter.
- In addition to high SNR, higher modulation techniques need very robust front-end algorithms (time, frequency, and channel) to decode the symbols without errors.
Top QAM tuners
This TV card will receive broadcast channels, unencrypted QAM channels, and analog cable TV channels, and view them in clear HD resolution up to 1080p on a computer monitor.
Users will use the electronic TV show guide to select when to tape and save time by arranging shows in advance and storing them in absolute HD quality on their PC hard drive.
Features and benefits
- It supports worldwide digital/analog TV broadcast standards including ATSC, DVB-T, NTSC, and PAL.
- This TV card adds an RF coax input to your desktop PC, allowing you to connect a DTV antenna, cable socket, or satellite box to your TV.
- This PCI Express card’s optical terrestrial tuner follows the ATSC standard for North America and the DVB-T format for Europe and the rest of the world.
- Built-in high-gain receptor. It works well for aerial channels with long reception than USB sticks.
- It can decode those free unencrypted QAM channels
USB Digital ATSC Clear QAM TV Tuner
This USB digital HD tuner turns the PC into a fully functional television set to allow your PC to access the RF Antenna. Local TV channels are available through antennas. Enjoy the easy, incredibly clear 1080p HD air channels in your city.
This USB digital TV tuner also has a DVR app for storing personal television. Customers can record TV shows in HD in real-time or schedule them to be recorded on a regular basis.
Features and benefits
- This USB-based HD tuner can also decode unencrypted clear QAM channels created by modulators, such as local broadcast stations, public-access channels, or private QAM channels.
- Users may rename channels, add/delete channels, organize their favorite channel list, and rearrange their TV channel list with this function.
- Premium USB-based ATSC SD/HD TV tuner for laptop or desktop PC
- Digital USB QAM tuner for air SD/HD broadcast TV channels at a max resolution of 1920×1080 pixels
AVerMedia AVerTV Volar Hybrid Q, USB TV Tuner
This is an excellent exterior device that allows you to enjoy digital/analog TV and FM radio on your PC. The extendable high-gain antenna promises a robust digital TV and FM connection. AVerTV Volar Hybrid Q is completely compliant with Windows Media Center, allowing you to watch television the way you want.
Features and benefits
- On your laptop, watch free OTA channels via ATSC, ClearQAM, and Analog TV. From your computer, you can listen to OTA FM Radio.
- With DVR support, you can watch recordings of your favorite shows whenever you want with just a click of a button.
- PC video recording formats are compatible with iOS and Android, and you can share them with your friends on social media.
- Supports Android TV 7.0 and above with LiveTV app
Aurora Multimedia V-Tune Pro
The Aurora Multimedia V-Tune Pro 4K ATSC/QAM/NTSC/PAL/IP Tuner provides a complete Ultra High Resolution tuning option for an integrated device that includes IPTV, ATSC, QAM, NTSC, or PAL. By using RF and LAN, the tuner will decode MPEG2, MPEG4, VC-1, H.264, and H.265 with resolutions up to 4K2K at 60Hz. It’s a very good QAM converter box.
Features and benefits
- PTV (UDP/RTP/RTSP Multicast and Unicast)
- ATSC/QAM Worldwide Digital Ultra High Definition Tuning
- NTSC & PAL Analog Tuning
- H.265, H.264, MPEG 4, MPEG2 and VC-1 up to 4K2K
ZeeVee ZvSync-NA HD Digital Tuner
Do you have a projector, computer, or other kinds of display that don’t have a digital tuner? ZvSync is a wireless cable tuner with HDMI and composite outputs that use QAM technology. It works with any display that doesn’t have a built-in digital tuner, such as projectors, HDTVs without tuners, commercial screens, monitors, and analog televisions.
Ideal for sports bars assisted care facilities and educational settings for both televisions and projectors. The ZvSync receives the signal from the ZvPro over coax and transforms it into an HDMI or composite video output that can be used on almost any display.
Features and benefits
- Enables any projector, monitor, or other display without a QAM digital tuner to connect to a ZvPro or Hybrid Encoder / RF Modulator
- Converts the signal from a coax cable to either HDMI or composite video.
- Small and easy to mount near a projector
- Analog audio output via RCA link or digital audio output via HDMI
- Includes IR sensor and remote control
If you are looking for a good QAM tuner then this review will help you make your choice. QAM tuners are very important in some parts of the world. Using this will give your monitor/TV more accessibility. Check this out if you are looking for a new TV along with QAM tuners
Samsung Q900 Neo, Sony Z9J, LG G1, and TCL 6-Series
QAM tuners are easy to install and will give you more features than you can imagine. Some modern QAM tuners will come with many multimedia features which will allow you to enjoy FM radio and HD resolutions. You can also save your personalized content from the TV which you can watch later. So make your choice wisely and we hope it will improve your viewing experience