If you are an audiophile, you must have heard about Klipsch audio equipment at least once in your life. This brand is popular for the unique technology it has to offer which helps their audio equipment to perform meticulously and bring the users audio experience to life. Two popular speakers that Klipsch has introduced into the market are the RP 600c and RP 504c center speakers. What are the differences between these speakers and which one performs better than the other? This article will help you decide.
Differences between Klipsch RP-600c vs Klipsch RP-504c
Although the two speakers seem to look very similar, they do have their subtle differences. To understand the differences between the klipsch speakers better, we have listed the specifications of each of the speakers side by side in the table below:
Table: Differences at a glance: Klipsch RP 600c vs rp 504c
Design and build quality
Both the speakers are quite similar in design and they come in the same color variations. The only physical difference between the Klipsch RP 600c and RP 504c is that the RP 504c is a lot bigger than the RP 600c. This means that the RP 504c is heavier and it will take up more space in the room.
When it comes to build quality, both speakers are scratch resistant and have premium ebony vinyl finishing which is smooth to the touch. Klipsch incorporates it’s famous Linear Travel Suspension technology for both its audio devices to ensure minimum stereo distortion.
Whilst both RP series speakers have one inch titanium vented tweeter with Tractrix loaded horn, the number of woofers in the speakers vary. In the Klipsch RP 504c model, there are four cerametallic cone woofers and the the RP 600c model uses only two cerametallic woofers. Other than these two major differences, the speakers are quite similar in terms of design and build quality.
Both speakers offer exceptional audio performance with enhanced dialogue clarity and deep bass response. They both have quite the similar audio specifications but there are a few subtle differences.
The major difference between the two klipsch center speakers is the power rating. The Klipsch RP-504c has a peak power of 600 watts whereas the rp 600c has a power of 500 watts. The RMS rating for 600c is only 125 watts whilst that for 504c is 150 watts. This shows that the Klipsch RP 504c produces more powerful audio response.
Because of its extra drivers and larger cabinet, the Klipsch RP-504c is a little more costly than the Klispch Rp 600c.
The Klipsch RP-600c are high quality, stylish and technologically advanced speakers that offer pure sophistication in your audio experience. These center channel speakers perform exceptionally well with their LTS technology incorporated vented horn tweeters and cerametallic woofers. Here’s our detailed review.
Reasons to buy
- The speakers are designed to with premium quality material to withstand scratches.
- The RP-600c speakers come in a variety of different colors and styles to blend in with the interior.
- These Klipsch speakers make use of advanced LTS technology to offer smooth and efficient bass response.
- The speakers produce crisp and clear audio response with spacious stereo imaging.
- The setup is convenient and the speakers take up less space because of their compact size.
Reasons to avoid
- The highs could be improved.
What’s inside the box?
On unpacking the box you will find the center channel loudspeaker, magnetically attached grilles pre-installed to the speakers, four self-adhesive rubber feet for convenient placement on the floor, plastic tipped bolt, and lastly user manual and warranty information.
Setup and room placement
Klipsch suggests that the left and main channel speakers should be placed 15 feet apart for optimum performance. The center channel speakers are to be placed as close to the screen as possible. Lastly, the rear surround channel speakers should be placed approximately two feet above the listening position.
Design and Build quality
The Klipsch RP-600 speakers have a simple and sleek design which has the ability to blend well with any home theater.
With dimensions of 7.95 inch, 21.93 inch and 11.96 inch, these speakers are rectangular in shape. The speakers weight about 24 lb and are lightweight and compact. The RP-600 speakers are available in three different colors- ebony, walnut and piano black. The wood grain vinyl texture on the surface of the speakers gives it an elegant look.
These music boxes make use of a scratch resistant MDF cabinet with sating painted baffle so they can be used in the long run without the worry of them looking worn out. The MDF cabinet also helps to reduce unwanted vibrations and improves the sound quality of the speakers.
The speakers consist of a one inch titanium LTS vented tweeter. The titanium diaphragm of the tweeter has a lightweight and rigid composition which makes it better performing than aluminum tweeters. The vented design also has its advantages- it helps to reduce standing waves which would have otherwise created distortion. The outcome of this design is a detailed high frequency response with enhanced clarity. The LTS stands for Linear Travel Suspension which is a technology that allows the optimum movement of the tweeter to produce sound with minimum distortion.
Paired up with the titanium tweeters is the Hybrid Tractrix Horn Technology for better performance. Klipsch uses a 90°x90° Hybrid Tractrix shaped horn is designed in a manner as to enhance stereo imaging and result in efficient transition of audio. The horn includes compressed molded silicon which improves the detailing in the frequency response by reducing harshness through high frequency damping.
The RP 600c speakers also include dual 6.5” cerametallic cone woofers which are coated with a thin layer of pulverized copper. Since Cerametallic is a very lightweight and rigid material which can retain its shape in extreme frequencies. The woofers are cleverly engineered to be placed in a steel basket attached to a magnet motor for minimum resonance and increased efficiency. Apart from this, the cone woofers also make use of copper voice coils for smooth conductivity.
The speakers are rear ported and the Tractrix ports are customized to have inner flares which help them eliminate turbulence in stereo sound. The Klipsch RP 600 is also fitted nicely with binding posts for sturdiness and the speakers come with a variety of mounting options for the user’s convenience.
Overall, Klipsch’s exceptional engineering and sophisticated technology incorporated with stylish design ensures that the RP 600 not only look out of the world, but perform with excellence as well.
As mentioned in the specifications, these dynamic speakers can handle a frequency range of 50 hertz to 25000 hertz with a crossover frequency of 1500 hertz. The speakers perform with a sensitivity of 97 dB and impedance of 8 Ohms.
The overall performance of the speakers is commendable. Whilst most center speakers might produce a hollow sound, these speakers emit audio that is crystal clear with the perfect amount of details. The speakers offer enhanced bass thanks to the efficient Tractrix horn design which leads to low frequency distortion and powerful bass response. The RP 600c are also engineered to ensure that there is precise placement of instruments and vocals. Hence when music is played with these speakers, the vocals can easily be distinguished from the instrumental. There is also excellent dialogue and an effect of an open and effortless sound because of its advanced stereo imaging.
Here are some of the features that we believe are the highlights of these high performing center speakers:
- Scratch resistant and resonance free MDF cabinet: Klipsch has designed the RP 600c to be robust and scratch resistant with its special MDF cabinet combined with a satin painted baffle.
- Acoustically transparent grille: The Klipsch RP 600c contains acoustically transparent and magnetic black cloth grille which is also removable. This feature not only helps to keep the speaker protected but also adds to the sleek and stylish exterior.
- Robust input terminals: The terminals of the speakers are sturdy and ensure that they are connected strongly with the cables. The speakers include 5-waay screw terminals which can be connected via banana plugs, pin connectors, spade-lugs or bare wires. Connecting is also very convenient and flexible thanks to the design of the terminals.
- Vented tweeter design: The vented titanium tweeter design ensures that standing waves are reduced to provide enhanced clarity in the audio and minimum harmonic distortion.
- Cerametallic woofer cone with conductive copper voice coil: The 6.5 inch cerametallic woofer cones are lightweight and rigid in construction, designed perfectly for the reproduction of low frequencies. The copper wound voice coil ensures maximum conductivity for smoother audio response.
- Award-winning Linear Travel Suspension technology: The well-known LTS technology of Klipsch allows optimum piston motion of the titanium tweeter which in turn helps to lower distortion and ensure a colorful audio is produced which comes to life.
- Flared Tractrix ports: The Tractix ports include flares in their design which reduces air turbulence and helps the speakers to produce a powerful and effective bass response.
The Klipsch RP-504c are incredible center speakers which offer excellence in audio performance and design. These speakers are equipped with details that bring your audio experience to life. The quad woofer and vented tweeter have technologies that help to reduce resonance and increase audio efficiency for a great listening experience.
Reasons to buy
- The speakers have a sophisticated design and a variety of color options for your home theater.
- The speakers offer crystal clear audio quality with enhanced dialogue clarity.
- The Klipsch RP 504c has a smooth finishing and scratch resistant properties.
- The speakers have four cerametallic woofers which help to increase audio performance efficiency.
Reasons to avoid
- The speakers are slightly larger than what most customers would think them to be.
What’s inside the box?
Inside the box include the center channel loudspeaker, installed grilles, four adhesive rubber feet for the speaker’s protection, user manual and other product information including warranty.
Setup and room placement
The setup of the speakers is quite similar to that of other Klipsch speakers. Like most of its speakers, the left and right channel speakers are to be placed 15 feet apart to enjoy the audio fully. The center channel speakers are designed in a way that when they are set up with the home theater, it seems as if audio or dialogue is coming from the television screen. These speakers are also equipped with 0.125 inch adhesive rubber feet which protect them and prevent damage to the surface of the shelf.
Design and build quality
The Klipsch RP-504c speakers have a modern design integrated with the right technology for efficient performance.
The Klipsch RP 504c, like most of the other speakers, comes in three different color variations- ebony, walnut and piano black. The impressive exterior looks premium thanks to the high quality materials used in the construction the center speakers. The speaker has a textured wood grain surface with a smooth and seamless vinyl coating. The speaker includes a cabinet which is made of MDF, a material that is scratch resistant and helps reduce audible coloration. The speakers are a bit heavy but compact nonetheless. They have a weight of 34 lb and dimensions of 6.81 inches x 31.13 inches and 14.46 inches.
A one inch horn loaded tweeter is one of the notable features of these RP-504c speakers. This titanium tweeter is equipped with Klipsch’s flagship LTS, which is Linear Travel Suspension technology. This unique and effective technology helps to leverage a piston motion of the tweeter diaphragm which results in audio reproduction with eliminated distortion.
This, however, is not the only technology that Klipsch cleverly incorporates in its RP 504c center speakers. The horn of the tweeters use a Hybrid Tractrix Technology which includes a circular horn throat complementing a square horn mouth design to improve high frequency extension and allow smoother dynamics. The clean and natural audio produced is a result of the compressed molded silicon in the horn. Futhermore, the use of computer modeled phase plugs in these klipsch speakers helps to keep the tweeters protected and produce flatter frequency response.
That is not all; these speakers utilize four 5.25 inch cerametallic woofer which are covered in a stamped steel basket. The steel basket is attached to a large magnet motor to reduce distortion. The reason why klipsch used cerametallic in the construction of these woofers is that this material has lightweight yet rigid property which helps the speakers to function more efficiently. The copper wounded coil complements the woofers and offers maximum conductivity for better performance.
The tractrix port of the klipsch woofers are matched perfectly with the cabinet and the woofer in order to eliminate turbulence and offer smoother flow of the audio. Like the rp 600c, these speakers also have flared custom ports.
The design of the Klipsch RP-504c speakers are sophisticated and it lets the speakers offer a maximum audio performance with ease.
The Klipsch RP-504c can perform at a frequency of 58 Hz to 25000 Hz and has a crossover frequency of 500 Hz. These speakers are very powerful since they have a peak power rating of 600 watts and an RMS power handling of 150 watts. The sensitivity is at 97 dB and impedance rating is at 8 Ohms. These specifications show that the center speakers can perform quite well.
Whilst watching movies with these speakers connected to the television, the speakers showed excellent dialogue clarity. The speech was coherent and the dialogues were crystal clear. The crossover of these speakers is so impressive that it adds depth to the conversations between the characters in the television, making it seem as if you are in the room with those characters in the movies. Music tracks are exceptional as well- the bass adds depth to the audio and the highs are clear and colorful. The sound reproduced from these speakers can be enhanced and powerful, as well as natural and delicate at the same time.
The special features of the Klipsch Rp-504c are as follows:
- Magnetically attached grilles: The magnetically attached grilles offer a clean, streamlined look for the speakers and they also help keep the exterior of the speakers protected. These grilles can be removable and can be adjusted.
- Bass-reflex design with rear-firing Tractrix port: Klipsch utilizes a Hybrid Tractrix horn technology accompanied with custom ports which are flared for less resonance. This design of the Tractrix ports helps to reduce air turbulence and provide a clean and powerful bass without interruption.
- Quad 5.25 cerametallic woofers: Klipsch Proprietary Cerametallic woofers are lightweight and rigid in composition for better audio output. This structure helps to ensure that the delivery of the audio is made with precision and efficiency.
- Stylish Ebony vinyl finish: The speakers have a scratch resistant surface and a stylish ebony vinyl finish which gives them a premium vibe.
- Titanium LTS vented tweeter: Like most of its other products, Klipsch incorporates its flagship Linear Travel Suspension Technology in these speakers. The titanium vented tweeter design helps to eliminate standing waves for better audio performance.
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals: The Klipsch Rp 504c are fitted with robust binding posts for greater stability and variety of connectivity options.
All about center channel speakers
In this section, let us talk about center channel speakers. If you are looking for new speakers for your audio system, you might need a center channel speaker. Here are some of the frequently asked questions about center channel speakers.
Why do I need a center channel speaker?
A center channel speaker is one of the most essential components of a home theater system. Most of the audio dialogues are produced by the center channel speaker. So if you are watching a movie and you want to a fully immersive experience, center speakers are a must. These speakers help to give clarity to the audio that you are listening to and they seamlessly work with the right and left audio channels to deliver a soundstage with smooth sonic transitions.
What should I look for when getting a center channel speaker?
When getting a center channel speaker, you should look out for the following things:
- Size of the speaker: It is important to know the dimensions of the speakers and take the measurements of the space that you are going to place them in. A larger sized speaker is a good option since it offers a better and powerful audio response. However, our advice would be to select the best center channel speaker that your space and budget would allow.
- Placement of the speakers: Whatever the surround sound configuration of your audio system is, the left center and right channel speakers should all be placed facing the speaker. It is advised to place the center channel speaker above or below the television screen for optimum surround sound experience. In this case, horizontal center speakers are a good choice.
- Compatibility: It is very important to ensure that the center speaker you are getting is compatible with the other speakers, i.e. the left channel and right channel speakers so that the audio response is smooth and it complements the other speakers.
- Technical specifications: Before getting the right center channel speaker for yourself you should look at the technical specifications such as power rating, frequency range, impedance, crossover frequency and sensitivity.
If you are looking for some other options available, the table below shows some alternate center channel speakers that perform equally well or even better.
The Final Verdict
Klipsch is a brand that really lives up to its words and has gained the trust of audiophiles all over the world. Both the 600c and 504c in the RP series are well performing speakers for audiophiles looking for a center channel in their home theater system. The Klipsch RP 600c speakers have fewer but larger woofers, are cheaper and have a smaller footprint. On the other hand, the Klipsch RP 504c speakers have four woofers, are much larger in size and are more expensive.
If you have some extra space in your audio room and some extra cash in your budget, we would suggest you go for the 504c because of its audio quality. It’s louder and more powerful than the 600c. The Klipsch 600c is a more natural center speaker and is better for smaller rooms.