In this detailed guide, you will learn how to set up your DirecTV remote to work with your TV without having to buy a TV receiver at the same time! It’s easy to use the DirecTV remote to control TVs and other audio equipment because most people have Smart TVs and the remote is in their house. There are different codes for different TV remotes, so you’ll need to know them to use them.
They come in two types, and the main difference between them is color and size. The DirecTV Genie remote, too, lights up when you use it. Most of the time, you need a receiver, but you can choose the wireless Genie Mini, which doesn’t need any wiring and can be moved around the room very quickly. Here we go: Without further ado, let’s start!
How to program DirecTV remote to TV without receiver:
Is it possible to program DirecTV remote to TV directly? Well, you often need a receiver through which you need to program and control your DirecTV remote for the TV. But, in case your TV has built-in receiver you can program DirecTV remote to TV without receiver. Follow these steps to perform the operation successfully.
This is one of the easiest ways to program DirecTV remote to the TV. It requires few steps and is easier.
- Look for the Mute and Enter buttons on the remote.
- Direct the remote towards the TV
- Press and hold the two buttons
- Wait to see a green light blink twice on the top of the remote control.
- ‘Applying IR/RF’ message will pop up on TV screen\
- Then go to the menu by pressing Menu on the remote, then go to Settings>Help Menu
- Look for Remote control> Program remote
- Select TV model, then simply follow the instructions
Read: Projector Screen DIY
Manual method is slightly harder than other ones. You might need to complete more steps for this.
- This time press and hold Select and Mute button
- The top of the remote will glow green and blink
- Press 9-6-1 with the remote
- Look for Channel up, press it then press Enter
- Then go to the menu with the Menu button.
- Other instructions are the same as ‘Auto’ pairing
In case there is a DirecTV ready on TV at your home, follow these steps:
- Press Enter and Mute to see blinking green lights
- TV will show Applying IR/RF Setup
- Then press Select and Mute
- Give TV and controller code
- Then complete the process by following the instructions
- Slide the slider to the TV on the top of the remote
- Press menu, and menu will appear on TV
- Select settings> remote control> program remote
- Follow the step-by-step command to complete.
- Turn on the TV
- Slide the switch to TV
- Press Mute and Select and hold
- Look for green light which should blink 2 times
- Give the TV code and again green light glow twice
- Press PWR and the TV will turn off
- Bring back the slider to its initial position
- Power on the TV and check whether you can adjust the volume
You can also try this quick method,
- Slide the slider to TV
- Press and hold Mute and Select on remote
- The green light with flash
- Then press 9911 (for TV), again look for the flashing green light
- Give a single press on Vol up
- Then gradually, press channel up and wait for the TV volume to increase
- If you notice that it goes up, then press Select button
- Programming is complete. Now check by pressing the power off button of the remote.
- Place slider back to initial position.
How to find DirecTV remote codes and DirecTV TV codes?
To find the DirecTV remote control codes, look at the top left corner of the remote control.
DirecTV codes for different TV model
If you know Samsung TV model number, then give the code. Otherwise, try 12051. If it works, try any one of the following. In this way, try different codes for different TV brands, as shown below. In this case, we have considered Remote control RC66 programming to the TV.
You can also try:
- For Samsung DIRECTV-Ready TVs, 54000.
- For Sony DIRECTV-Ready TVs, 54001.
- For Toshiba DIRECTV-Ready TVs, 54002
Table: DirecTV codes for different Smart TVs
|Samsung direcTV code||10812|
|LG direcTV code||Try 12731, or|
|DirecTV Vizio TV||Same as LG TV|
|Sony Bravia DirecTV code||10810 or|
|Onn TV DirecTV code||Try 11756|
|DirecTV codes for TCL TV||12434 or 11756|
|Toshiba direcTV code||11524 or,|
|Directv code for TCL Roku TV||11756|
|DirecTV Philips TV code||10054 or|
If you are considering another remote, like the Genie RC73 remote Genie RC73 remote codes, then codes for different TV model will change. Like if you want to program DirecTV remote RC73 to LG TV, then the codes will change to: 11860, 11423, 12358, etc. Then, you may want to program DirecTV remote RC73 to TCL Roku TV, the codes will be: 11860, etc.
How to program different DirecTV remotes to TV?
DirecTV codes vary with different remote controls. Let’s have a look.
RC73 program to TV
If you want to program DirecTV remote RC73 to TCL Roku TV or any other smart TV, then follow these instructions.
- If you have Genie HD DVR/Genie Mini Genie HD DVR/Genie Mini, point the remote at the device.
- Press Mute and Enter button
- Follow instructions as mentioned above in ‘Auto pairing’ section
If you want RC66RX remote programming, then follow any one of the above procedures.
However, DirecTV RC72H remote programming might not accept the instructions given here because it is made for hotel receivers or use cases.
direcTV RC71 remote programming
To program RC71 remote , press menu of the remote, connect if you have Genie Mini receiver. Then press and hold Mute and Enter and follow the steps mentioned above.
How to program DirecTV remote to TV without code?
If you don’t have any code, try to perform a code search.
- Switch on the device and if you have any tape/disk, then put it inside
- Use the remote and move the slider to TV, AV1 or AV2 as per your need.
- Then Press these two buttons and hold: Mute, Select
- When you see green light on remote, type 991 and then ID of the device type satellite:0, TV:1, VCR/DVD/PVR:2, stereo: 3)
- Then press PWR, then keep pressing channel up
- If the device responds, press Select
To find the code,
- Use slider of the remote
- Press Mute and Select key and hold
- Press 990, wait for the green light to blink 2 times
- Press ‘1’ of the remote, keep waiting for 3s, then look at the green light
- Count how many times the green light flashes. If it flashes 5 times, note down ‘5’
- This is the first digit in your code. Repeat the method, press 2, wait and write the 2nd.
- Press 3, for 3rd digit, 4 for 4th digit and 5 for 5th
- Each time count the number of times the green light blinks.
Types of DirecTV remote control:
From the image of remotes above, you will see two different pictures. They vary in shape and size. The left one is the Universal remote control. You can use this device to program it to 4 devices: TV, DVD player, gaming console and sound system.
Genie remotes will work with DirecTV-ready TVs. It can perform self-programming with line-of-sight. This means you don’t have to direct the remote directly at your TV. DirecTV remotes like RC71B, RC73B have backlit.
Now that you know how o program DirecTV remote to TV without receiver, just follow the steps and it will work for you. Make sure to know your DirecTV remote control number. And if you already know your Smart TV DirecTV code, then you are already a step ahead. Make sure the remote is working properly.
A pure green light on the top of the remote will indicate batteries are strong. Blinking green means you soon need to replace the batteries and slow flash green light means change your battery now. If the remote is faulty, go for a DirecTV TV remote replacement. The steps are simple and short so it’s quite easy to program old DirecTV remote to TV.
Understand that there are different ways to sync DirecTV remote to TV. We mainly focus on cases where you don’t have the receiver. Built-in receivers in TVs allow you to program DirecTV remote to TV without receivers.
This FAQ is here to solve some of your question that might arise while using DirecTV Channel with remote!
How to reset DirecTV remote control?
Follow these steps:
- Look for Menu on remote, press it
- Go to Settings> Select,
- Then choose Remote control> Select
- Then choose Pair/Program Remote
- If the device asks for code, give it.
What is the RCA sound bar remote code for DirecTV?
RCA soundbar remote code DirecTV are as follows: 31254, 30054, 32041, 32611, etc.